What is Shockwave Therapy and Why Choose It?
Fast & Effective Pain Relief
Some patients report a dramatic reduction of pain in just one or two sessions.
Drug-Free Alternative to Surgery
Surgery, which involves incisions made into the skin, creates its own problems like post-operative scar tissue formation. As ESWT is performed through the skin, there is no risk of this happening.
Virtually No Downtime
Many patients return to dancing, lifting weights, or just their regular routine very soon after ESWT treatment. Some even do so within the same day of treatment.
ESWT is especially effective for:
- Stubborn, lingering injuries that don’t respond to other treatments
- Anyone who needs fast pain relief eg. If the pain interferes with your job or sporting activity
- All tendinopathies (swollen, inflamed tendons) which includes the following common injuries:
- Tennis elbow
- Achilles (heel) tendon pain
- Foot Pain (Plantar Fasciitis)
- Knee pain and arthritis
- Trigger Finger
- Rotator cuff
A really good friend recommended me to see Dr Luke to find relieve from a slipped disc and nerve pain. Dr Luke is a life saver! I was in so much pain that I had to hobble around painfully with a walking stick. After a few weeks of treatment with Dr Luke, my pain was much reduced and I could walk around without aid of a walking stick. I am thankful that Dr Luke was able to help me in my recovery. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to any of my friends and family.
I was initially referred to Dr Luke through Genesis gym where I was undergoing rehabilitation for chronic patella tendonitis in 2010. This condition had caused me severe aggravation over the course of three years which had limited my ability to continue playing rugby competitively and even caused issues climbing down stairs. Combined with the therapy I was receiving at Genesis, I was back playing rugby and squatting 160kg within 3 months. Testament to the holistic approach that Dr Luke implements I have been back and forth with various injuries I have sustained through rugby and MMA since my first visit. My wife is also a patient of Dr. Luke who frequently visited pre and post child birth. This has helped tremendously with her lower back pain and spine misalignment. I have recommended Dr. Luke to many of my friends and colleagues over the years all of who have had very good experience.
David J.MMA Fighter
Went to Dr Luke for my old injury in my lower back pain due to a bad fall, which had been troubling me for years: settled in 5 sessions. Should have met him first instead of spending thousands for physiotherapy. He ended up fixing almost every other part of my body. Fixed the tension in my head due to teeth grinding/clenching (which i don’t even know I had), he did some facial muscle… (i don’t know what he calls it) my face ends up looking slimmer + balancing left and right, saved me a trip to go Korea. Fixed my lopsided shoulder. Fixed my life-long problem of forever cramping calves. Fixed my shortness of breath which I thought was due to being fat or having a heart problem. Taught me how to stretch specific muscles. He’s a good doctor to consult regarding your fitness level and sports injuries. Willing to spend time to talk to you. Warning pleasant to talk to and look at, might get addictive. I don’t usually write reviews but this guy is really good at what he’s doing!
Dr Luke and team are all very skilled in their own field…whether it’s rehab time with Victor, Myofascial with Faye or chiropratic session with Dr Luke, I always feel well taken care of! Thanks everyone!
How Does It Work?
ESWT signals the body to eliminate damaged and unhealthy tissue, and to grow new and healthy tissue.
It lubricates your joints by signaling the body to produce lubricin. This substance acts as a lubricant and a shock-absorber. Lubricin decreases with age, which is why older people may feel more aches and pains in their joints.
ESWT signals the body to create new blood vessels. These new blood vessels bring blood into the injured area which enhances healing and tissue regeneration.
Commonly Treated Conditions
Why Choose Us?
ESWT is clinically proven to work, and it is very thoroughly backed by science and research studies.
The quality of the devices available in the market vary greatly. The outcome of your treatment depends heavily on the type of machine used by the clinic.
To make sure that you are receiving the best treatment, from the best shockwave devices, you can simply call the clinic and ask them what machine they are using. Most will not reveal what machine they are using because they likely purchased a cheaper device.
Most of the scientific studies were done using the EMS Swiss Dolorclast machine, and resulted in better clinical outcomes, as compared to the control groups.
Our clinic uses the same EMS Swiss Dolorclast machine, so you can be assured that you are being treated with the best equipment that’s available.
Clinically Proven Results
Shockwave therapy (ESWT) is a method of treating injuries using soundwaves directed through the skin, without the use of any drugs or surgery.
Shockwave therapy signals the body to quickly remove damaged tissue, regenerate healthy tissue, lubricate the joints, and to grow new blood vessels in the area treated.
Depending on the area of treatment, each session could take anywhere from 10-25mins to complete.
For optimal results, we recommend a series of 4 treatments, each done a week apart, followed by at least 2 months of rest. Each treatment will typically take around 10-25mins.
Here are some abstracts from scientific studies done on ESWT:
- “The most favorable outcomes for use of ESWT have been seen in randomized controlled trials of its use in patients with calcific tendinitis of the rotator cuff” (Harniman et al. 2004, Cosentino et al. 2003, Loew et al. 1999, Wang 2003).
- “ESWT has been shown to be an effective intervention for Achilles tendinopathy, when compared with a no-treatment approach or when combined in a multimodal treatment approach.” (Rompe et al. 2007)
- “ESWT was an effective treatment for chronic plantar fasciitis, in particular high-energy ESWT, given the relatively higher success rates and quicker resolution of symptoms when compared with low-energy ESWT.” (Ronald De Vera Barredo, Dale Menna, and James Farris at Tennessee State University and Arkansas State University.)
- “75% of patients with patellar tendonitis would see improvement after treatment with ESWT. Additionally, no adverse effects or complications were identified, leading the authors to recommend additional research into shockwave therapy not only as an alternative to surgery in chronic cases, but as a first- or second-line treatment for less severe cases of patellar tendonitis.” (University of Groningen in the Netherlands reviewed seven trials of ESWT for patellar tendonitis.)
- “More effective than corticosteroid injections for plantar fasciitis.” (Pain Med 2016:17:1722-1731)
The most common side effect is temporary redness of the skin. This usually fades within the hour. Some people report very slight bruising, which typically clear up within a few days.
It is not advisable to perform any vigorous or high-intensity exercise after treatment. Due to the significant pain relief from the shockwave treatment, you could be tempted to exercise a little more rigorously after your session. This could potentially interfere with your healing or even injure you further. Also depending on the area treated, one can usually resume low-intensity exercises like swimming, brisk walking, cycling, or slow and controlled bodyweight exercises, within a day of your treatment.
- Treatment of pregnant women
- Treatment of completely ruptured tendons or muscles
- Patients under the age of 18 (except for Osgood-Schlatters disease)
- Treatment of patients with blood clotting disorders including local thrombosis
- Treatment of patients treated with oral anticoagulants
- Treatment of tissue with local tumors or local bacterial and/or viral infections
- Treatment of patients treated with cortisone
Our team consists of a Chiropractor who specializes in sports injuries; a myofascial release therapist who specializes in pre & post-natal massage, as well as sports massage; and an osteopath who specializes in physical therapy and rehabilitation. We work together not just to treat your symptoms, but to get to the root-cause of your injury. This way, you can be assured of fast, effective, and long-lasting pain relief.
Ask a Question
Meet the Team
Dr Luke HoThe Chiropractor
Dr. Luke Ho obtained his Chiropractic degree from Palmer College of Chiropractic, Davenport, Iowa, USA in 2005. In 2001 Dr. Ho obtained a BSc. in Sports Medicine from the University of Evansville, Indiana, USA. He founded AGAPE Chiropractic Clinic in 2010. His area of interest and expertise is in treating scoliosis, sports injuries, slipped discs, and in customizing sport-specific and core-strengthening exercises to improve athletic performance.
FayeThe Myofascial Therapist
Faye has been a sports injury and muscle therapist for over 10 years. She holds a Diploma in Sports Injury Therapy, an Advanced Certificate, and a Professional Certificate in Massotherapy. She also holds a Diploma in Aromatherapy & Holistic Massage, as well as Certification in Myofascial Release Technique.
VictorThe Rehab Specialist
Victor, our rehab specialist, is an internationally certified Fitness Personal Trainer (American Fitness Professional Association) as well as a Distinction achiever in his clinical cupping education which is based in the United Kingdom. Being in the field for more than 7 years, his thirst for knowledge has led to him running healthcare and fitness courses & workshops across South East Asia for Physiotherapists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and Fitness Professionals.
Latest Chiropractic Blogs
Find out the latest news about our Chiropractic Clinic and information about all your Chiropractic and health related needs.
We are always happy to hear what you have to say so be sure to leave a comment.Read all Blogs